Statue of Liberty and world map

Immigration Law

Naturalization and Certification of Citizenship

You may be eligible for U.S. citizenship through Naturalization or through Certification of Citizenship.


In general, you may become a citizen through naturalization if you have been a green card holder and have lived in the U.S. for five years, or for four years if you are an asylee, or for three years if you got your green card as a result of marriage to a U.S. citizen. (Under a recent change in law, if you have a green card and are on active duty in the U.S. armed forces, you may immediately apply for naturalization.) You may also become a citizen by naturalization if one of your parents became a citizen while you were under 18.

Certification of Citizenship

In general, you may be eligible to obtain a certificate from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service that proves that you are a U.S. citizen if:

  • Either of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born even if you were born outside the U.S.;
  • You were under 18 when adopted by a U.S. citizen.

You may also be eligible to be declared a U.S. citizen under other circumstances.

What We Do For You

First, we help you determine the best path to pursue your U.S. citizenship. Next, we identify the best evidence to gather or produce to present your case in the most persuasive way possible. Then, we assemble and prepare all of the paperwork. Most important, if an immigration office interview is required, drawing on our decades of education and experience, we prepare you for the interview and, depending on where you are residing, go with you to that interview. In short, we make it as easy as we can for you to apply and for the immigration officer to say, “Yes.” From the moment you retain us until you have your citizenship, we are with you every step, with unlimited meetings, phone calls and e-mails.

Free Consultation

We will be happy to review your case and let you know if are qualified for U.S. citizenship, or if you have other options. Please contact us by e-mail or by phone at (631) 246-5904 or toll free at (877) 791-7577.