Statue of Liberty and world map

Immigration Law

Marriage-Based Green Cards

If you are a U.S. citizen, your spouse or fiance may be eligible for a green card.

Qualifications for Marriage-Based Green Cards

In general, the marriage must be valid and not entered into for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card. You must meet minimum income or asset standards, and your spouse or fiance must not have disqualifying criminal or immigration violations. Your spouse will have to pass a medical exam, and you and your spouse will also have to pass an interview.

If your spouse is in the U.S. when you apply, he or she may also be eligible to get a work permit and international travel document to use while the green card application is pending.

If your spouse or fiance entered the U.S. illegally or overstayed on a visa, he or she may still be eligible for a green card.

Please call us to discuss your case.

What We Do For You

First, we help you determine the best path to pursue a green card for your spouse or fiance. Next, we identify the best evidence to gather or produce to present your case in the most persuasive way possible. Then, we assemble and prepare all of the paperwork. Most important, drawing on our decades of education and experience, we prepare you and your spouse for the required immigration office interview and, depending on where you are residing, accompany the two of you to that interview.

In short, we make it as easy as we can for you to apply and for the immigration officer to say, “Yes.” From the moment you retain us until you have your green card, we are with you every step, with unlimited meetings, phone calls and e-mails.


Many of our successful cases have had to overcome substantial obstacles, such as criminal issues (one successful client had been convicted of multiple bank robberies), significant age differences (in one case, a difference of 40 years), and language and ethnic differences. In one especially difficult case, we were able to win multiple hardship waivers to reunite a U.S. citizen with her husband who had been arrested and sent back to his home country because he had ignored a longstanding deportation order.

Free Consultation

We will be happy to review your case and let you know if you may qualify for a marriage-based green card, or if you have other options. Please contact us by e-mail or by phone at (631) 246-5904 or toll free at (877) 791-7577.